Being the manager of a company is obviously a sign that you’ve done quite well for yourself. Having people working for you means that you’ve climbed your way up the corporate ladder quite successfully. However, a position like that entails a lot of responsibility. For instance, what would you do if you were posed with the question: “Which of your employees should get promoted?”
As a manager, you have the responsibility to take care of your employees. This means gauging their individuals strengths, weaknesses, and helping them to be successful by aiding them up the career ladder.
If this is something you’ve not quite thought about, here are a few things you can look for in an employee to identify the crème de la crème:
1. They Have The Numbers To Back Them Up
– If you are able to quantify performance on any level you will be able to identify which of your employees are meeting and going beyond expectations. To do this, perhaps it would help for you to have a means of measuring their performance, such as a spreadsheet to help you keep track. You will easily see certain patterns in your employee’s behaviours and see which one of them might deserve a promotion.
2. They Don’t Leave When It’s Time To Leave
– This is not to say that you should keep your employees locked in the office when it’s time for them to go home. However, there is a difference between those who deliver simply what is expected of them and those who are willing to put in a little bit of extra effort. Take note of the employees who are always available whenever they are needed, regardless if it means taking five minutes away from their lunch time.
3. They Aim To Solve, Not To Whine
– It’s normal for people to complain. However, an employee who has the potential to move up the career ladder is one who offers solutions instead of constantly whining about problems. They are the ones that show that they are ready for responsibilities and to step up their game.
4. They Request Feedback
– People seldom like to hear feedback regarding their performance. Take note of the employees who constantly ask or request for comments about their work. Not only that, but try to notice what they do what the feedback that they are given. Do they just simply ignore it or do they listen carefully and use it to improve their performance?
5. They’re Serious About Moving Up
– It’s a common thing for employees to casually mention about possibly getting a raise in their current salaries. However, it’s different when they start talking about possible opportunities to move up the career ladder. The employees who are vocal about progressing in their respective careers. Those who are brave enough to speak up are those that are motivated and driven.
The promotion of employees is a two-way street. Not only do they have to be deserving of the promotion, but you, as their manager, also need to be mindful and aware about who is ready to go to the next level. You can also visit www.phillife.com.ph for more tips and helpful advice regarding business and finance. It is definitely a joint effort, but also a necessary one in order for a company to grow and flourish.